ICTY Outreach Activities - 2012
‘Top marks’ for presentation on the TribunalLivno, 15 April 2014
Students from the high school in the Bosnian town of Livno today used a guest lecture by Outreach representative Almir Alić as an opportunity to ask numerous questions about the work of the ICTY. “I hardly knew anything about the work of the Tribunal before today,”
one 18-year-old admitted afterwards. During the two-hour workshop, the students were given a wealth of information about Tribunal’s establishment, mandate...
Perceptions of the Tribunal improved by Outreach presentationIstočna Ilidža, 10 April 2014
A presentation given today by Outreach representative Almir Alić at the High School Centre
in Istočna Ilidža developed into a two-hour discussion, initiated by the students, about the need to face up to the events of their country’s recent past. Since accountability for perpetrators of war crimes forms an essential part of dealing with the past, Almir used this as a platform to talk to the students in more detail about the work...
Lectures stir up discussion among Montenegrin students Podgorica, 10 April 2014
Around 90 law students gathered today at two Montenegrin universities to listen to lectures given by Ljiljana Hellman, a court officer in the ICTY's Registry. At the University of Donja Gorica the main topic of discussion was the transfer of cases from the ICTY to local courts. Many students were interested to know how this process was handled, how many cases were transferred and if more would be handed over in future...
Macedonian law students get to know the ICTYSkopje, 9 April 2014
Around 55 law students from two universities in Skopje, capital of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, today attended lectures on the practice and jurisprudence of the ICTY, given by John Cubbon, a Senior Legal Officer in the Tribunal’s Chambers.
John’s first lecture was given at the American University with 15 students in attendance, while the second lecture was given at the law faculty...
Budding Montenegrin lawyers learn from an ICTY professional Podgorica, 9 April 2014
Ljiljana Hellman, a court officer in the ICTY Registry, today spoke to more than 60 students from the law faculty of the University of Montenegro in Podgorica about the overarching legal framework and specific ICTY practice relating to genocide and command responsibility. This proved to be a popular topic and the students voiced questions, comments and opinions throughout the two hour lecture. They were very interested in the process...
'It is great to have such issues discussed in high schools'Jajce, 9 April 2014
Not far from the centre of the Old Town of Jajce, nominated for UNESCO’s World Heritage List, is the Nikola Šop
high school, whose students today welcomed ICTY Outreach representative, Almir Alić, and during a two-hour presentation shared their impressions of the importance of the Tribunal for the communities in the former Yugoslavia. More than 50 students gathered to listen to Almir, and between them...
Students discuss ICTY jurisprudence and guilty pleasSarajevo and Tuzla, 4 April 2014
Guest lectures at the American Universities in Sarajevo and Tuzla and at the Law Faculty of Tuzla University proved that the work of the ICTY generates a lot of interest among students in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Tea Polešćuk, a legal advisor in the Office of the Prosecutor of the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals, visited each of the three universities and talked to a total of around 150 future Bosnian lawyers on plea bargaining...
Law students from Zenica delighted with their visit to the TribunalThe Hague, 3 April 2014
The study visit of 45 students and professors of the Law Facutly of Zenica University was concluded today after two days of lectures and presentations, and it provided the visitors with a better insight into the work and practices of this institution, which will greatly benefit their future legal careers. This visit was jointly organised by the Tribunal's Outreach Programme and the Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Netherlands...
Students debate politicisation and the nature of justiceTrebinje, 27 March 2014
At today’s high school presentation, Outreach representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Almir Alić, met with students from the Jovan Dučić gymnasium in the town of Trebinje, in the country’s far south. After having listened attentively to Almir’s presentation on the work of the Tribunal, the students engaged in a frank discussion on the politicisation of the ICTY’s work and the nature of justice. One student suggested: “The biggest obstacle
Outreach presentation challenges students’ perceptions of the TribunalBileća, 26 March 2014
Outreach representative Almir Alić travelled today to the town of Bileća, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), to meet with the students from the ‘Golub Kureš’ high school. In 1992, during the war in BiH, Serb paramilitary groups attacked Bileća and, following their takeover of the municipality, non-Serb civilians, including women and children, were placed in detention centres. It is alleged that detainees were regularly beaten and kept...
Tribunal's Work Displayed at the Museon ExhibitionThe Hague, 21 March 2014
An exhibition “Give Peace a Chance” (Werken aan Vrede)
, which explores the processes of peace and justice, sheds light on the conflicts of the past and discusses the challenges ahead for international organisations, opened today at The Hague’s city museum, Museon
. The Tribunal's work features prominently at the display...
Outreach documentary premieres in Zagreb Zagreb, 19 March 2014
Some 50 participants today attended a screening in Zagreb of the third Outreach-produced documentary, Through Their Eyes – Witnesses to Justice
. The audience in Zagreb's Cineplexx cinema consisted mostly of young people, including high school students, as well as representatives of many Croatian NGOs, the media and the diplomatic community. The event was organised in co-operation with Youth Initiative for Human Rights...
An ‘eye-opening’ Outreach presentationGoražde, 19 March 2014
Outreach representative Almir Alić today travelled to the town of Goražde in the south-east of Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) to meet with students from the Enver Pozderović high school there. From 1992 to 1995, Goražde was one the enclaves, along with Srebrenica and Žepa, surrounded and besieged by the Bosnian Serb Army, and suffered terrible destruction during that time...
The witness experience explored at Outreach screeningSarajevo, 18 March 2014
The third of the ICTY Outreach Programme’s documentary features - Through Their Eyes: Witnesses to Justice
– was today screened at the Meeting Point cinema in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. The screening, which attracted significant media attention, was also attended by members of the victims community, other NGOs, representatives of academia and Bosnian judicial bodies...
Latest Outreach documentary receives its Serbian premiereBelgrade, 17 March 2014
The third in a series of documentaries produced by the ICTY’s Outreach Programme, Through Their Eyes – Witnesses to Justice
, premiered today in Belgrade, Serbia. The screening took place in Art bioskop, which forms part of the Ethnographic Museum of Serbia. Over 70 diplomats, NGO representatives, journalists and members of the general public attended the screening...
Helping to break the silence for young people in BrčkoBrčko, 14 March 2014
ICTY Outreach representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina Almir Alić today travelled to the town of Brčko to give a presentation on the work of the Tribunal to a group of students from the Economics High School there. Almir gave an overview of the history of the Tribunal and its achievements, and then went on to talk specifically about the cases of Goran Jelisić and Ranko Češić...
Paving the way to reconciliation through education and toleranceŽivinice, 13 March 2014
“This was a much-needed presentation. I’m surprised that it actually took place in my school, and I’m very happy about it.” This was the reaction of a fourth-year student at the Gymnasium in Živinice, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), where ICTY Outreach represenative Almir Alić today gave a presentation on the work of the Tribunal and its contribution to transitional justice...
Bosnian Students Learn about their Towns’ War-Time PastBijeljina, 12 March 2014
The ICTY Outreach
programme continued its long-standing cooperation with the Helsinki Committee for Human Rights in Republika Srpska (HCHR RS) by organising a two-hour interactive workshop in Bijeljina, BiH, as a part of the project “Open Your Eyes, This is Your Past”. Almir Alić, ICTY Registry Liaison Officer in BiH, introduced a group of 16 high school students from Zvornik and Srebrenica with the fundamental principles...
Tribunal’s Outreach Programme launches third round of its Youth Project Sarajevo, 6 March 2014
The Outreach Programme of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia today launched its third round of high school and university presentations in the countries of the former Yugoslavia. The project is part of the ICTY’s continued efforts to reach out to young generations across the region and stimulate their interest in the Tribunal’s mandate and wider issues of transitional justice and post-conflict recovery...
Post-Conflict Research Centre interns visit Tribunal’s Sarajevo officeSarajevo, 5 March 2014
The ICTY Field Office in Sarajevo today held a one-day workshop for a group of interns from the Post-Conflict Research Centre (PCRC), giving them the opportunity to learn more about the work and achievements of the ICTY. Outreach representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) Almir Alić presented the interns – who came from BiH, Brazil, Italy, Poland, Serbia and the USA – with a wealth of facts and information drawn from the Tribunal’s...
Dutch communication and media students learn about the ICTYThe Hague, 20 February 2014
ICTY Outreach representative Nenad Golčevski today visited Rotterdam’s Erasmus University to give a lecture about the impact of the ICTY and its Outreach Programme on the transitional justice process in the countries of the former Yugoslavia. The lecture was held as part of a seminar on ‘Human Suffering in Media and Arts’...
- The Hague, 7 December 2012Lauded sexual violence documentary now available online
- Zagreb, 4 December 2012Law students learn from Tribunal experts
- Tuzla, 29 November 2012Coping with the past
- Skopje, 22 November 2012 Outreach documentary on sexual violence premieres in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Zagreb, 8 November 2012Conference on ICTY Legacy in Croatia concludes in Zagreb
- Sarajevo, 6 November 2012First of a series of conferences on ICTY’s legacy concludes in Sarajevo
- Brčko, 31 October 2012Bosnian students join together to condemn war crimes
- Belgrade, 30 October 2012International School of Belgrade students question how Serbia benefits from the work of Tribunal
- Mostar, 18 October 2012Mostar students are united: justice must be done
- Tuzla, 17 October 2012"Peace and justice go hand-in-hand"
- Sarajevo, 20 September 2012ICTY Outreach: ‘Innovative and far-reaching’
- Podgorica, 13 September 2012Law students expand their knowledge about the ICTY
- Podgorica, 13 September 2012Montenegrin legal professionals learn about the ICTY
- Vrnjačka Banja, 7 September 2012Outreach documentary screened for victims’ groups
- Sarajevo, 30 August 2012Tokyo law students visit ICTY‘s Sarajevo office
- Sarajevo, 13 July 2012Denver University students visit Tribunal’s Sarajevo office
- Leskovac, 5 July 2012Audience silenced by Outreach documentary
- Sarajevo, 5 July 2012Discover Bosnia Project visits Tribunal’s office in Sarajevo
- Mostar, 22 June 2012Bridging ethnic divides in the city of Mostar
- Pula, 15 June 2012Students impressed by the spread of international criminal justice
- Tuzla, 14 June 2012Students react well to ‘refreshing’ and ‘innovative’ presentation
- Sarajevo, 11 June 2012Bridges of trust and friendship: working to ensure a peaceful future for the Balkans
- Vushtrri / Vučitrn, 5 June 2012Final high school presentation of the year a great success
- Bijeljina, 1 June 2012Impressive presentation leads to request for repeat performances
- Zagreb, 30 May 2012Youth Initiative for Human Rights screens ICTY documentary
- Dragash, 25 May 2012Kosovar schoolchildren welcome ICTY representative
- Prijedor, 23 May 2012Audience left speechless by ICTY documentary
- Travnik, 22 May 2012ICTY official discusses Tribunal’s work with Bosnian university students
- Belgrade, 22 May 2012Dutch journalism students visit the Tribunal’s Belgrade office
- Pristina, 22 May 2012Philosophy and law students at Pristina University discuss the work of the Tribunal
- Sombor, 18 May 2012Serbian students keen to discuss the ICTY’s work
- Backi Petrovac, 17 May 2012High school students get an introduction to the ICTY
- Gjakova, 17 May 2012Kosovar high school students moved by courtroom testimony
- Mostar, 17 May 2012Outreach documentary on sexual violence wins praise in Mostar
- Kikinda, 16 May 2012Serbian students guided through the workings of an ICTY trial
- Kacanik, 16 May 2012Kosovar students fascinated by the Tribunal
- Zadar, 16 May 2012ICTY presentation sparks student debate on reconciliation
- Sremski Karlovci, 15 May 2012Starting from nothing, Serbian students begin to learn about the ICTY
- Slavonski Brod, 15 May 2012Standing room only at latest high school presentation
- Foča, 15 May 2012High school students keen to discuss the ICTY
- Novi Sad, 14 May 2012Tribunal’s Outreach Programme launches series of high school presentations in Serbia
- Novi Sad, 14 May 2012Over 100 Novi Sad students learn about the Tribunal
- Bijeljina, 11 May 2012ICTY presentation offers ‘new perspective on the world’
- Malisheva, 11 May 2012Students insist on double-length ICTY presentation
- Sarajevo, 11 May 2012ICTY documentary on sexual violence presented at the American University in Sarajevo
- Rahovec, 10 May 2012ICTY joins local NGO to talk about justice with high school students
- Niš, 9 May 2012Outreach Programme launches series of lectures in universities in Serbia
- Sisak, 8 May 2012‘More people in Croatia should have the chance to attend one of these presentations’
- Mitrovica, 4 May 2012Students in ethnically divided town learn about the ICTY
- Križevci, 4 May 2012Križevci students expand their knowledge of the ICTY
- Koprivnica, 3 May 2012High school students moved by witness testimony
- Osijek, 2 May 2012Outreach Programme reaches out to Osijek High School students
- Vukovar, 26 April 2012Croat and Serb high school students come together to hear about the ICTY
- Travnik, 26 April 2012High school presentation project visits Travnik
- Klina, 26 April 2012Klina students learn about ICTY achievements
- Nova Gradiška, 25 April 2012Croatian students keen to hear more about the ICTY
- Sarajevo, 24 April 2012Plea bargaining - an ICTY perspective
- Varaždin, 24 April 2012Students happy to receive first hand information on the Tribunal
- Drenas/Glogovac, 24 April 2012Drenas students ask for more ICTY visits
- Bugojno, 23 April 2012"The presentation was great – we want more!"
- Karlovac, 19 April 2012Karlovac school children fascinated by the work of the Tribunal
- Tuzla, 19 April 2012A thought-provoking film leads to a fascinating discussion
- Petrinja, 17 April 2012Students find Outreach presentation a ‘truly worthwhile’ experience
- Višegrad, 17 April 2012Višegrad high school students express great interest in the work of the ICTY
- Rijeka, 16 April 2012Rijeka students keen to question Tribunal representatives
- Zagreb, 13 April 2012University presentation inspires students to discover more about the ICTY
- Kamenica/Kosovska Kamenica, 12 April 2012Kosovo high school presentations continue
- Zagreb, 11 April 2012Tribunal presented to Serb returnee children in Zagreb
- Bjelovar, 10 April 2012‘We should be open to all sides of the story’
- Tuzla, 10 April 2012Tuzla students and teachers welcome opportunity to learn more about the ICTY
- Sarajevo, 4 April 2012Outreach Programme documentary on sexual violence premieres in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Uroševac, 3 April 2012High school students in southern Kosovo learn about the ICTY
- Vukovar, 3 April 2012Screening of Sexual Violence documentary
- Zagreb, 29 March 2012Tribunal’s Outreach Programme launches series of high school presentations in Croatia
- Lipjan/Lipljan, 28 March 2012High school students impressed by Outreach presentation
- Šabac, 27 March 2012Students in Šabac get to know the ICTY
- Vitez, 27 March 2012Vitez students find Tribunal a ‘positive’ force
- Pristina/Priština, 26 March 2012Students given ‘excellent’ presentation
- Obiliq/Obilić, 23 March 2012Kosovar high schoolers learn about the ICTY
- Mostar, 22 March 2012Another successful high school presentation
- Kruševac, 22 March 2012Serbian students learn about the ICTY
- Konjic, 13 March 2012Bosnian students keen to discuss the work of the ICTY
- Bijeljina, 9 March 2012Tribunal takes part in human rights summer school
- Novi Pazar , 6 March 2012‘Dialogue essential to avoid repeating past mistakes’
- Pristina, 5 March 2012Tribunal’s Outreach Programme launches series of high school presentations in Kosovo
- Zvornik, 2 March 2012Bosnian children learn about the ICTY
- Srebrenica, 1 March 2012Students in town made notorious by massacre learn about the ICTY
- Belgrade , 28 February 2012War crimes opinion poll discussed in Serbia
- Brčko, 24 February 2012Successful presentation leads to an invite to return
- Bosanski Šamac, 23 February 2012Bosnian students eager to discover more about the ICTY
- Požega, 20 February 2012Former Croatian President hears about the work of the ICTY
- The Hague, 31 January 2012Visit by Bosniaks living in the Netherlands
- The Hague, 31 January 2012Sexual violence documentary launch
- Niš, 27 January 2012Serbian law students debate the work of the Tribunal
- Podgorica, 25 January 2012Donation of legal material to Montenegro
- Zagreb, 24 January 2012Croatian students discuss crimes of sexual violence
- Zagreb, 18 January 2012Croatian law students meet with senior ICTY officials
- Zagreb, 10 January 2012Book donation to Zagreb Law Faculty