ICTY Outreach Activities - 2013
‘Top marks’ for presentation on the TribunalLivno, 15 April 2014
Students from the high school in the Bosnian town of Livno today used a guest lecture by Outreach representative Almir Alić as an opportunity to ask numerous questions about the work of the ICTY. “I hardly knew anything about the work of the Tribunal before today,”
one 18-year-old admitted afterwards. During the two-hour workshop, the students were given a wealth of information about Tribunal’s establishment, mandate...
Perceptions of the Tribunal improved by Outreach presentationIstočna Ilidža, 10 April 2014
A presentation given today by Outreach representative Almir Alić at the High School Centre
in Istočna Ilidža developed into a two-hour discussion, initiated by the students, about the need to face up to the events of their country’s recent past. Since accountability for perpetrators of war crimes forms an essential part of dealing with the past, Almir used this as a platform to talk to the students in more detail about the work...
Lectures stir up discussion among Montenegrin students Podgorica, 10 April 2014
Around 90 law students gathered today at two Montenegrin universities to listen to lectures given by Ljiljana Hellman, a court officer in the ICTY's Registry. At the University of Donja Gorica the main topic of discussion was the transfer of cases from the ICTY to local courts. Many students were interested to know how this process was handled, how many cases were transferred and if more would be handed over in future...
Macedonian law students get to know the ICTYSkopje, 9 April 2014
Around 55 law students from two universities in Skopje, capital of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, today attended lectures on the practice and jurisprudence of the ICTY, given by John Cubbon, a Senior Legal Officer in the Tribunal’s Chambers.
John’s first lecture was given at the American University with 15 students in attendance, while the second lecture was given at the law faculty...
Budding Montenegrin lawyers learn from an ICTY professional Podgorica, 9 April 2014
Ljiljana Hellman, a court officer in the ICTY Registry, today spoke to more than 60 students from the law faculty of the University of Montenegro in Podgorica about the overarching legal framework and specific ICTY practice relating to genocide and command responsibility. This proved to be a popular topic and the students voiced questions, comments and opinions throughout the two hour lecture. They were very interested in the process...
'It is great to have such issues discussed in high schools'Jajce, 9 April 2014
Not far from the centre of the Old Town of Jajce, nominated for UNESCO’s World Heritage List, is the Nikola Šop
high school, whose students today welcomed ICTY Outreach representative, Almir Alić, and during a two-hour presentation shared their impressions of the importance of the Tribunal for the communities in the former Yugoslavia. More than 50 students gathered to listen to Almir, and between them...
Students discuss ICTY jurisprudence and guilty pleasSarajevo and Tuzla, 4 April 2014
Guest lectures at the American Universities in Sarajevo and Tuzla and at the Law Faculty of Tuzla University proved that the work of the ICTY generates a lot of interest among students in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Tea Polešćuk, a legal advisor in the Office of the Prosecutor of the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals, visited each of the three universities and talked to a total of around 150 future Bosnian lawyers on plea bargaining...
Law students from Zenica delighted with their visit to the TribunalThe Hague, 3 April 2014
The study visit of 45 students and professors of the Law Facutly of Zenica University was concluded today after two days of lectures and presentations, and it provided the visitors with a better insight into the work and practices of this institution, which will greatly benefit their future legal careers. This visit was jointly organised by the Tribunal's Outreach Programme and the Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Netherlands...
Students debate politicisation and the nature of justiceTrebinje, 27 March 2014
At today’s high school presentation, Outreach representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Almir Alić, met with students from the Jovan Dučić gymnasium in the town of Trebinje, in the country’s far south. After having listened attentively to Almir’s presentation on the work of the Tribunal, the students engaged in a frank discussion on the politicisation of the ICTY’s work and the nature of justice. One student suggested: “The biggest obstacle
Outreach presentation challenges students’ perceptions of the TribunalBileća, 26 March 2014
Outreach representative Almir Alić travelled today to the town of Bileća, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), to meet with the students from the ‘Golub Kureš’ high school. In 1992, during the war in BiH, Serb paramilitary groups attacked Bileća and, following their takeover of the municipality, non-Serb civilians, including women and children, were placed in detention centres. It is alleged that detainees were regularly beaten and kept...
Tribunal's Work Displayed at the Museon ExhibitionThe Hague, 21 March 2014
An exhibition “Give Peace a Chance” (Werken aan Vrede)
, which explores the processes of peace and justice, sheds light on the conflicts of the past and discusses the challenges ahead for international organisations, opened today at The Hague’s city museum, Museon
. The Tribunal's work features prominently at the display...
Outreach documentary premieres in Zagreb Zagreb, 19 March 2014
Some 50 participants today attended a screening in Zagreb of the third Outreach-produced documentary, Through Their Eyes – Witnesses to Justice
. The audience in Zagreb's Cineplexx cinema consisted mostly of young people, including high school students, as well as representatives of many Croatian NGOs, the media and the diplomatic community. The event was organised in co-operation with Youth Initiative for Human Rights...
An ‘eye-opening’ Outreach presentationGoražde, 19 March 2014
Outreach representative Almir Alić today travelled to the town of Goražde in the south-east of Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) to meet with students from the Enver Pozderović high school there. From 1992 to 1995, Goražde was one the enclaves, along with Srebrenica and Žepa, surrounded and besieged by the Bosnian Serb Army, and suffered terrible destruction during that time...
The witness experience explored at Outreach screeningSarajevo, 18 March 2014
The third of the ICTY Outreach Programme’s documentary features - Through Their Eyes: Witnesses to Justice
– was today screened at the Meeting Point cinema in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. The screening, which attracted significant media attention, was also attended by members of the victims community, other NGOs, representatives of academia and Bosnian judicial bodies...
Latest Outreach documentary receives its Serbian premiereBelgrade, 17 March 2014
The third in a series of documentaries produced by the ICTY’s Outreach Programme, Through Their Eyes – Witnesses to Justice
, premiered today in Belgrade, Serbia. The screening took place in Art bioskop, which forms part of the Ethnographic Museum of Serbia. Over 70 diplomats, NGO representatives, journalists and members of the general public attended the screening...
Helping to break the silence for young people in BrčkoBrčko, 14 March 2014
ICTY Outreach representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina Almir Alić today travelled to the town of Brčko to give a presentation on the work of the Tribunal to a group of students from the Economics High School there. Almir gave an overview of the history of the Tribunal and its achievements, and then went on to talk specifically about the cases of Goran Jelisić and Ranko Češić...
Paving the way to reconciliation through education and toleranceŽivinice, 13 March 2014
“This was a much-needed presentation. I’m surprised that it actually took place in my school, and I’m very happy about it.” This was the reaction of a fourth-year student at the Gymnasium in Živinice, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), where ICTY Outreach represenative Almir Alić today gave a presentation on the work of the Tribunal and its contribution to transitional justice...
Bosnian Students Learn about their Towns’ War-Time PastBijeljina, 12 March 2014
The ICTY Outreach
programme continued its long-standing cooperation with the Helsinki Committee for Human Rights in Republika Srpska (HCHR RS) by organising a two-hour interactive workshop in Bijeljina, BiH, as a part of the project “Open Your Eyes, This is Your Past”. Almir Alić, ICTY Registry Liaison Officer in BiH, introduced a group of 16 high school students from Zvornik and Srebrenica with the fundamental principles...
Tribunal’s Outreach Programme launches third round of its Youth Project Sarajevo, 6 March 2014
The Outreach Programme of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia today launched its third round of high school and university presentations in the countries of the former Yugoslavia. The project is part of the ICTY’s continued efforts to reach out to young generations across the region and stimulate their interest in the Tribunal’s mandate and wider issues of transitional justice and post-conflict recovery...
Post-Conflict Research Centre interns visit Tribunal’s Sarajevo officeSarajevo, 5 March 2014
The ICTY Field Office in Sarajevo today held a one-day workshop for a group of interns from the Post-Conflict Research Centre (PCRC), giving them the opportunity to learn more about the work and achievements of the ICTY. Outreach representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) Almir Alić presented the interns – who came from BiH, Brazil, Italy, Poland, Serbia and the USA – with a wealth of facts and information drawn from the Tribunal’s...
Dutch communication and media students learn about the ICTYThe Hague, 20 February 2014
ICTY Outreach representative Nenad Golčevski today visited Rotterdam’s Erasmus University to give a lecture about the impact of the ICTY and its Outreach Programme on the transitional justice process in the countries of the former Yugoslavia. The lecture was held as part of a seminar on ‘Human Suffering in Media and Arts’...
- Ilidža, 19 December 2013Outreach presentation on facts established in ICTY cases
- The Hague, 16 December 2013Srebrenica survivors meet with Tribunal representatives
- The Hague, 20 November 2013Legal professionals from the Balkans and Turkey visit the Tribunal
- Sarajevo, 19 November 2013Students recognise the importance of the ICTY's work with local communities
- The Hague, 8 November 2013Law Students from Tuzla Visit the Tribunal
- The Hague, 1 November 2013Journalists from the former Yugoslavia visit the Tribunal
- Split, 30 October 2013Second phase of the Youth Outreach Project concludes in Split
- Rogovo/Rogova, 29 October 2013Final Kosovo high school presentation takes place
- Sarajevo, 28 October 2013Two university lectures held in Sarajevo
- The Hague, 28 October 2013Tribunal welcomes journalists from the former Yugoslavia on a study visit
- Bijeljina, 25 October 2013Second place in essay competition goes to student in Bijeljina
- Suhareka, 25 October 2013Students from former war zone learn about the Tribunal
- The Hague, 23 October 2013Junior diplomats from the Balkans and Turkey visit the Tribunal
- Pristina, 23 October 2013Students in Pristina get to know the ICTY
- Niš, Novi Sad, Belgrade and Novi Pazar, 22 October 2013Successful week of university events in Serbia
- Belgrade, 22 October 2013ICTY Outreach joins war crimes reporting seminar
- Sarajevo, 22 October 2013Third prize in essay competition awarded to Sarajevo student
- Shterpce, 22 October 2013Students in Štrpce/Shterpce discussing the work of the ICTY
- Tuzla, 21 October 2013Winner of Outreach national essay-writing competition announced in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Peja/Peć, 21 October 2013Another successful high school presentation
- Prizren, 18 October 2013Students in southern Kosovo learn about the Tribunal
- Pristina, 17 October 2013Kosovo high schools presentations continue
- Podujeva/Podujevo, 11 October 2013More high school students in Kosovo learn about the ICTY
- Pristina, 9 October 2013Young Kosovars introduced to the ICTY
- Mostar, 8 October 2013ICTY donates materials to Mostar university
- Gjilan/Gnjilane, 7 October 2013Tribunal presented to high school students in Kosovo
- The Hague, 24 September 2013Tribunal hosts visit of FYROM judicial support staff
- The Hague, 13 September 2013Drawings by Bosnian children in new ICTY website feature
- Vrnjačka Banja, 13 September 2013Outreach attends women’s organisation network meeting
- Budva, 11 September 2013ICTY participates in Montenegrin summer school
- Trnopolje, 5 August 2013Outreach workshop held in former prison camp
- Sarajevo, 31 July 2013An inspirational presentation for Denver students
- Priština, 31 July 2013Tribunal participates in University of Pristina summer school
- The Hague, 23 July 2013Tribunal showcases Outreach Programme in Annual Report
- BiH, 4 July 2013Outreach documentary on Prijedor broadcast across BiH
- Belgrade, 4 June 2013Dutch journalism students visit Belgrade Field Office
- Belgrade, 24 May 2013ICTY attorney meets Belgrade law students
- The Hague, 23 May 2013Outreach documentary screened for Bosnians living in the Netherlands
- Slavonski Brod, 21 May 2013Final Outreach presentation in 2012/2013 school year sent off with applause
- Sarajevo, 15 May 2013A Second Gymnasium encore
- Skopje, 14 May 2013FYROM law students learn about the ICTY
- Mostar, Tuzla, Doboj, 10 May 2013Over 250 university law students attend ICTY lectures
- Tuzla, 29 April 2013Another encore performance in BiH
- Sarajevo, 25 April 2013Outreach donates material to the Bosniak Institute
- Ilok, 25 April 2013‘We must never forget the crimes or the victims’
- Zagreb, 24 April 2013Croatian law students discuss the work of the Tribunal
- Vukovar, 23 April 2013Croatian student introduced to the work of the Tribunal
- Zagreb, 23 April 2013Croatian international relations students learn about the ICTY
- Rogatica, 22 April 2013Bosnian students discuss the work of the ICTY
- Belgrade, 19 April 2013Outreach Programme documentary on crimes in Prijedor premieres in Novi Sad, Belgrade and Sarajevo
- Gradačac,, 16 April 2013At the request of the students, a second Gradačac presentation
- Županja, 10 April 2013More than 100 students congregate for ICTY presentation
- Derventa, 9 April 2013High school students get ‘interesting’ introduction to the ICTY
- Beli Manastir, 8 April 2013Croatian students introduced to the work of the Tribunal
- Bijeljina, 8 April 2013‘Peace of mind and a feeling of justice’
- Belgrade, 4 April 2013Dutch students meet the ICTY in Belgrade
- Podgorica, 28 March 2013Montengrin university students join in-depth discussion of the Tribunal’s work
- Sarajevo, 26 March 2013Outreach Programme launches second round of lectures in universities in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Sarajevo, Zenica, 25 March 2013‘Two hours not enough for such an interesting lecture’
- Sanski Most, 22 March 2013Encore performance in Sanski Most school
- Vlasenica, 19 March 2013Great interest for the work of the ICTY among Vlasenica high-school students
- Bratunac, 18 March 2013Bosnian students learn about the Tribunal’s achievements
- Niš, 13 March 2013Outreach joins the debate at University of Niš
- Zenica, 11 March 2013Zenica students get repeat performance
- Amsterdam, 10 March 2013Outreach contributes to symposium on sexual violence
- Knin, 7 March 2013High school students learn about the fight against impunity
- Čapljina, 6 March 2013BiH students insist on extra-long presentation
- Obrovac, 6 March 2013High school students discuss the work of the Tribunal
- Zadar, 5 March 2013Another successful presentation and an invitation to return
- Gospić, 5 March 2013Students in Gospić fascinated by ICTY proceedings
- Stolac, 5 March 2013“Together we are much stronger”
- Šibenik, 5 March 2013Tribunal’s Outreach Programme launches second phase of high school presentations in Croatia
- Šibenik, 4 March 2013High school presentations resume in Croatia
- Belgrade, 28 February 2013Young Serbians agree that all victims deserve support
- Doboj, 26 February 2013‘This presentation should be given in as many schools as possible’
- The Hague, 25 February 2013Tribunal hosts study visit of youth from the former Yugoslavia
- Brčko, 25 February 2013Brčko high schoolers look to the future
- Modriča, 19 February 2013Bosnian high school students hopeful for the future
- Gradačac, 18 February 2013“The past should not be forgotten, but we must turn towards the future”
- Sanski Most, 13 February 2013A presentation that everyone should see
- Bihać, 12 February 2013Snow-covered Bihać offers warm welcome to ICTY Outreach representative
- Zenica, 7 February 2013Punishment alone cannot bring true satisfaction to victims
- Sarajevo, 5 February 2013Tribunal’s Outreach Programme launches second phase of its youth education project