Registry and Chambers:
Nerma Jelačić, Spokesperson for Registry and Chambers, made the following statement:
The trial of Jovica Stanišić and Franko Simatović recommenced yesterday with the Prosecutor’s opening statement. Stanišić waived his right to be present for the hearing as well the possibility to participate through the video-link from the Detention Unit. In accordance with its Decision on modalities of trial of 29 May the Trial Chamber deemed that Stanišić has waived his right to be present and ordered the proceedings to commence in his absence. The Chamber also denied the defence request for an adjournment of trial due to Stanišić’s health issues. The Chamber found there was no objective medical reason that would disable the accused to follow the proceedings if not in the courtroom then via video link. The Prosecution will continue with its opening statement this afternoon and presentation of evidence is expected to begin on 29 June 2009.
At yesterday’s status conference in the case of Mičo Stanišić and Stojan Župljanin the Trial Chamber announced that the trial was expected to start on 31 August with the Prosecutor’s opening statement. A pre-trial conference will be held on 21 July 2009. The Status conference will continue this Friday at 14:15 in courtroom I. The Chamber also gave an oral ruling allowing Stanišić to continue with his provisional release after the status conference on Friday. The Chamber denied Župljanin’s request for provisional release finding him a flight risk based on his escape from justice for nine years.
Next Monday, 15 June 2009, a pre-trial conference will be held in the contempt case against Florence Hartmann at 9:00 in courtroom I. The trial will commence immediately following the conclusion of the pre-trial conference on Monday.
As for the court schedule:
The trials for Gotovina and others, Vlastimir Ðorđević and Momcilo Perišić will continue this week and next as scheduled. Also next week, the Prlić and others case will recommence on Monday.
Office of the Prosecutor:
Olga Kavran, Spokesperson for the Office of the Prosecutor, made no statement.
A journalist asked why last week neither the President nor Prosecutor responded to serious and incorrect allegations made by representatives of some states in the Security Council after the presentation of Completion Strategy reports. Jelačić said the correct information about all of the issues raised at the debate was provided in both the President's written as well as oral submissions to the SC. Jelačić and Kavran said they would get back to the journalist if there were further details.